Every third Sunday of the month, Charlie Hallowell, owner of the Oakland restaurants Pizzailo, Penrose and Boot & Shoe Service, hosts a special Sunday Supper at a local restaurant (they have included Chez Panisse, Miss Ollie’s and his own). The meal is a prix fixe family-style spectacular spread. Two-thirds of proceeds go to a selected local nonprofit.
This Sunday, March 15 will be at Penrose on Grand Avenue, benefiting MISSEY (Motivating, Inspiring, Supporting, and Serving Sexually Exploited Youth), an Alameda County community-based organization founded in 2007 to respond to the heartbreaking epidemic of sexual exploitation. MISSEY provides comprehensive services in a safe environment to support and serve sexually exploited youth. They also work to provide information to the community and government about the commercial sexual exploitation of children.
To learn more, watch this 12-minute documentary:
Tickets cost $100 per person, wine included, for a multi-course, prix fixe meal. A signature cocktail may be ordered throughout the night at the cash bar—100% of the proceeds will also be donated to the organization.
The 5:30 seating is sold out, but there are still tickets for the 8:00pm seating, and from past experience this is a really delicious and fun meal followed by another hour of cocktails. Tickets can be purchased here: http://sundaysuppersmar2015.bpt.me/
What’s on the menu, you ask?
The meal is kept a secret, but we have been given an exclusive peek. If you don’t want to know, please do not read any further.
- Star Route Farms wild arugula & frisee w/ shaved baby fennel, pine nuts & mint
- Little gems w/ pink lady apples, toasted pecans, french feta & tarragon
- Riverdog Farm berber carrots w/ currants, pistachios &herb salad
- Brokaw Farms avocado w/ winter citrus, marinated beets, flowering cilantro & aleppo pepper
- Braised chicken tagine w/ dried peaches & preserved lemon
- Chickpea ragu w/ spring onions & nigella
- Grilled mei qing choi & asparagus
Vegetarian options are available when buying advance tickets.
Check out the Sunday Suppers Facebook page.